[lbo-talk] Better or worse?

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Oct 10 14:20:05 PDT 2007

On Oct 10, 2007, at 5:03 PM, Julio Huato wrote:

> I just plotted data from pollingreport.com on the question:
>
> "Right now, do you think that economic conditions in the country as a
> whole are getting better or getting worse?"
>
> http://pollingreport.com/consumer2.htm
>
> from 1/31/1997 to 9/14/2007. That includes four of the fabulous
> 1990s. Still, the (linear) average changes are -.13 for "Better" and
> .16 for "Worse," respectively. The units are percentage points per
> (approx.) month. ("Same" and "Unsure" are trendless, and I ignored
> them.)
>
> The peak in optimism (trough in pessimism) measured this way occurred
> in January 2004 -- I guess when people realized the Iraq adventure
> wouldn't be a cakewalk after all. From that point on, the linear
> trend has slopes (monthly changes) of -.39 (Better) and .38 (Worse),
> respectively. Pretty dramatic.

You're plotting changes rather than levels, right? Here are the levels of the Conference Board's consumer confidence and the University of Michigan's consumer sentiment indexes. The CB measure heavily reflects the state of the job market, while Michigan doesn't. In any case, things are not as bubbly as 2000, but they're not as grim as you say.

CB Mich

1990 91.5 81.6

1991 68.5 77.6

1992 61.6 77.3