[lbo-talk] An Empire of NGOs

Charles Brown charlesb at cncl.ci.detroit.mi.us
Wed Oct 10 14:54:18 PDT 2007

BklynMagus:

Having lived under a regime of sexual oppression, I can testify to how close to death a person feels when his sexual expression is thwarted. Death becomes an attractive options in many ways. If a person has always lived in the the sunshine of sexual entitlement/privilege, such experiences may be alien to her.

^^^^ CB: This sounds a bit histrionical.

As a teenager, like many teenagers, I lived under a regime of sexual repression. I didn't feel close to death. Then there are the long periods when I haven't had a girlfriend, by which fact I was sexually repressed. I didn't feel close to death.

> I'm not sure I understand this as a response to
Yoshie's critique of NGO's as playing a legitimating role in current structures of informal sovereignty as a mediator.

It is a general response to the sex panic about the Gay International that has been on the list lately. I just decided to use this post as a vehicle. I have gotten the impression that Yoshie, the Tomb and others think that sex activists who critique sexually oppressive regimes help do the work of Empire, hence their panic over the Gay International (I am still waiting for my membership card in the mail. I paid my dues).

Advocacy for sexual freedom must be made on both the right and the left.

^^^^^^^^ CB: The way you do it isn't going to gain many supporters. For one thing, Yoshie is well known on this list as an advocate for sexual freedom. Accusing her of panicking over the Gay International sounds ridiculous. You are attacking your ally.

^^^^^^