[lbo-talk] Not getting laid is the same as being oppressed? (was An Empire of NGOs)

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Oct 11 16:37:04 PDT 2007

Charles Brown wrote:
> BklynMagus:
>
> Having lived under a regime of sexual oppression,
> I can testify to how close to death a person
> feels when his sexual expression is thwarted.
> Death becomes an attractive options in many ways.
> If a person has always lived in the the sunshine
> of sexual entitlement/privilege, such experiences
> may be alien to her.
>
> ^^^^
> CB: This sounds a bit histrionical.
>
> As a teenager, like many teenagers, I lived under a regime of sexual
> repression. I didn't feel close to death. Then there are the long
> periods when I haven't had a girlfriend, by which fact I was sexually
> repressed. I didn't feel close to death.

I don't think the comparison of unfulfilled horniness with death was the point. If someone tells me the social repression of their very sexual essence is troubling enough to be likened to death I am in no position to label such a feeling histrionic and I don't see how anyone else could feel comfortable doing so either. The phrase "there are the long periods when I haven't had a girlfriend" is here being posited as something similar to the anguish felt by a person whose sexual entity is repressed by an entire set of social norms is kind of creepy and trivializing isn't it? Not getting laid causes the same feelings of alienation as having your person rejected by the norms of society? You disappoint me Charles. From your previous posts I expected more from you.

John Thornton