[lbo-talk] Doris Lessing on her Nobel

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Oct 11 18:54:09 PDT 2007

[the video clip is amazing]

<http://jezebel.com/gossip/clips/its-official-doris-lessing-really-is- our-fave-bitch-of-the-day-309980.php>

Clips It's Official: Doris Lessing Really Is Our Fave Bitch Of The Day

Today, the press greeted Golden Notebook author Doris Lessing as she arrived at her home in a taxi. In the clip above, they tell her she was awarded the Nobel Prize for literature, and her response is, "Oh Christ. I couldn't care less." She's the saltiest! What's not seen in the clip is that reporters then tried to elicit a more printable quote from Lessing, and when one of them reminded her about the $1.5 million cash prize she said, "I'm already thinking about all the people who are going to send me begging letters -- I can see them lining up now."

<http://jezebel.com/gossip/older-and-wiser/-309938.php>

older and wiser

Doris Lessing is an awesomely salty old bitch. This morning when she was told about her Nobel Prize win, Doris's first reaction was, "Oh Christ! ... I couldn't care less." Lessing continued, "I can't say I'm overwhelmed with surprise. I'm 88 years old and they can't give the Nobel to someone who's dead, so I think they were probably thinking they'd probably better give it to me now before I've popped off." She also said that the awards process is "graceless" and it "doesn't mean anything artistically." Doris, will you be my grandma? Or at least have a scotch with me and tell me to piss off? [Yahoo News]