[lbo-talk] Hamid Dabashi on Ahmadinejad & Bollinger

ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Thu Oct 11 19:21:30 PDT 2007

On 11 Oct, 2007, at 19:49 PM, Michael Smith wrote:
> Pathetic. I hate this moral-equivalence stuff -- it's
> so liberal, so above-it-all.
>
> The fact is, that to any unbiased mind, Bollinger
> would have been seen to be to be a shrill, vulgar,
> underbred, bullying, sloganeering fool, and
> Ahmadinejad -- if only by comparison -- a
> reasonable, thoughtful, perhaps mistaken
> human being.
>
> Maybe Yoshie's whole mission on this list can
> be summed up as: "Bollinger vs Ahmadinejad -- take
> your pick. No, don't evade. You have to choose.
> This is actually existing reality, with a genuine
> social basis, not some contrivance of legislation
> or institutional bylaws. You really have to take
> your pick."

Yes, yes, I think you are pretty much right here. This is what I have been sort of [trying] to say, I think... that its all fine, the whole liberal thing -- unlike you, I even think its valuable -- but not at the cost of forgetting the reality, especially of others.

--ravi (would like to write more, but poor net connectivity!)