[lbo-talk] Doris Lessing on her Nobel

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Oct 12 07:08:24 PDT 2007

On Oct 12, 2007, at 9:53 AM, Russell Grinker wrote:

> Has anyone read any of her more recent
> stuff (from about 1979 on) which I found quite unreadable and obscure?

Harold Bloom agrees:

<http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071011/ap_on_en_ot/nobel_literature>

However, American literary critic Harold Bloom called the academy's decision "pure political correctness."

"Although Ms. Lessing at the beginning of her writing career had a few admirable qualities, I find her work for the past 15 years quite unreadable ... fourth-rate science fiction," Bloom told The Associated Press.