[lbo-talk] "Suck Cock to Beat the Draft" vs. Equal Right to Serve (was An Empire of NGOs)

bitch at pulpculture.org bitch at pulpculture.org
Fri Oct 12 12:24:17 PDT 2007

At 12:28 PM 10/12/2007, andie nachgeborenen wrote:

>I think that Dworkin actually said in an earlier work
>that in her youth she was really turned on by Story of
>O.
>
>The porn discussion has gotten sort of tired, but I
>actually think that Vogue and the like are far more
>dangerous to women and girls than pictures of people
>having sex or generally arousing the prurient
>interest.
>
>I don't believe that there is any responsible research
>linking porn causally, in any statistically
>discernible way, to violence against women. MacKinnon
>more or less implicitly conceded that in Only Words
>when she argued that porn was per se violence against
>women.

have you ever read her argument? Oh. My. God. She's basically arguing that porn IS the act of rape. I don't have time now to write a compact summary, but I wrote about her stuff in an extended series of blog posts awhile back, often pissing of Anthony Kennerson and others who hate MacKinnon and Dworkin. (Though Anthony now understands better what I was up to.)

I don't care for Dworkin for the reasons Janet Halley outlines: she's a moralizer and her social theory means that the only social change she understands or upholds is a social change whereby special radicals are the ones to lead the rest of the masses to radical revolution. This,as I've argued elsewhere, is a terrifying vision of how to change the world and has dire consequences -- parnoid politics, tryannical micro-politics, etc.

Where she *really* is disturbing is when she argues that it's better to work with rightwing men than it is leftwing men.

yeah, sorry, just type dworkin into the blog's search engine, you'll find all the relevant quotes to back up my claims.

Bitch | Lab http://blog.pulpculture.org (NSFW)