[lbo-talk] "Suck Cock to Beat the Draft" vs. Equal Right toServe (was An Empire of NGOs)

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Fri Oct 12 12:45:03 PDT 2007

See-more Lenin:

> I don't disagree with most of what you wrote, but this is surely a little
> glib. I take the point that the institutional setting is more important
> than what is consumed, but they clearly fulfil a different function: you
> read bell hooks and Noam Chomsky to learn something; you peruse
> pornography
> to have an orgasm.

Have you ever jerked off to porn? To images of women or men you find hot or titillating?

> There is one other thing. People keep referring to some putative
> 'connection' between pornography and violence. My contention isn't that
> pornography *causes* violence against women. My contention is that
> pornography, at least the bulk of it anyway, is a form of violence against
> women in the same way that racist imagery is a form of violence against
> the
> designated 'race'.

And with black or Latina or Asian porn, you get the whole package!

Again -- how much porn do you consume? What genres? I'm genuinely curious. There are elements of contemporary porn that make me sick and really turn me off, so I'm not baiting here.

Dennis