[lbo-talk] Can Politics Be Liberated from the von Neumann Style?

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Oct 13 11:47:36 PDT 2007

On Oct 13, 2007, at 1:17 PM, Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

> Did we learn anything from the destruction of Iraq? An anti-war
> movement doesn't prevent war, nor does it stop it once it begins. The
> only way to prevent the invasion of Iraq would have been to stop
> sanctions and get America to normalize its relation with Iraq during
> the Clinton administration. Let's not repeat the same failure and
> help destroy another nation in the Middle East.

I get it now - if we all had refused to call Saddam a "monster" - a word that Noam Chomsky and Tariq Ali both used in interviews with me - we could have prevented the invasion of Iraq. And now, if we not merely refrain from criticizing the Iranian regime but praise it, then we can lift the sanctions and prevent a bombing run?

You make no damn sense.

Doug