[lbo-talk] the death penalty: Americans luv it

dredmond at efn.org dredmond at efn.org
Sat Oct 13 12:01:10 PDT 2007

On Sat, October 13, 2007 10:25 am, andie nachgeborenen wrote:

> I discovered that after reflection on Nuremberg that I
> am not a principled abolitionist:

The deeper problem is the non-equivalence of causality and agency in the world-market. Britain was one of the most democratic states in the world in the late 19th century - heck, even Marx could live and write in London - but British colonialism also murdered 1 million Irish peasants and 25-35 million Indian peasants. Is that really more forgivable than the Nazi death-camps?

I don't know what justice would look like, but I suspect it would involve a cessation of violence, not its continuation.

-- DRR