[lbo-talk] Iran, a model for oil privatization

Robert Wrubel bobwrubel at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 13 17:48:06 PDT 2007

What is the difference between privatization and nationalization in the countries where those terms apply? Let's say the proposed Iraq oil law is as bad as privatization gets, as close to outright thievery. Iraqis get, what?, 15% or 20% of some extracted value.

At the other end, how much does Venezuela keep for itself? How much does it have to pay to the oil majors, or Halliburtons, to get the stuff out of the ground and refined? And how do we describe Saudi Arabia? Half privatized, half nationalized?

Maybe Iran, the girl that everyone wants to marry, can strike a good deal? And maybe no oil will flow without marrying someone?

BW (seeking enlightenment)

http://www.presstv.ir/Detail.aspx?id=26143&sectionid=351020103