[lbo-talk] Australian PM Howard sets election

Mike Ballard swillsqueal at yahoo.com.au
Sun Oct 14 08:22:50 PDT 2007

Howard is a Bush clone who wants, among other things, to give a green light to the construction of 25 nuclear power plants, continue to erode any semblance of workers' power in the marketplace of commodities and who won't be offering to reinstate a Commonwealth dental program.

Mike B)

*****************

Australia's veteran Prime Minister John Howard on Sunday called a national election for November 24, stressing experience over his Labor opponent and shrugging off polls that show he faces near-certain defeat.

Howard, 68, in power for 11 years but lagging well behind youthful Labor leader Kevin Rudd in opinion surveys, said that only he was able to lead Australia into the future and continue the country's current resource-driven economic boom.

"Love me or loath me the Australian people know where I stand on all the major issues of importance to their future," said Howard, who is danger of losing in his own Sydney-based seat.

Howard, Australia's second-longest serving leader, said the country was enjoying remarkable prosperity, but promised voters the best years could lie ahead.

"But that won't happen automatically. This country does not need new leadership, it does not need old leadership, it needs the right leadership," he said, unveiling what will likely become the conservatives' fighting slogan.

But if Howard wins he has already said he will hand over the prime ministership to his deputy, Treasurer Peter Costello, some time during the next term.

The election will determine the future of Canberra's military contribution in Iraq and climate change stance, with Labor promising to bring home combat troops and sign the Kyoto climate pact. But the poll will be fought and won on domestic issues.

GENERATIONAL CHANGE

Rudd, 50, has promised generational change to take the country into the future, including sweeping reforms to healthcare, education and controversial labor laws introduced by Howard.

"What I'm offering the Australian people is new leadership," Rudd said. "Australia can't afford another three years of a government which has already had 11 years ... a government without fresh ideas for our nation's future."

A newspaper opinion poll on Sunday gave Labor 59 percent of the overall vote, compared with the coalition government's 41 percent. But Labor needs to pick up an imposing 16 more seats in the 150-seat lower house to take power. full:http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20071014/wl_nm/australia_politics_dc_5;_ylt=Agwb0SWTHEwxA7rGaJGZHCFkMfQI

Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer." - W. C. Fields http://www.iww.org/culture/official/preamble.shtml

Sick of deleting your inbox? Yahoo!7 Mail has free unlimited storage. http://au.docs.yahoo.com/mail/unlimitedstorage.html