[lbo-talk] Can Politics Be Liberated from the von Neumann Style?

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sun Oct 14 10:06:03 PDT 2007

Julio Huato wrote:

> Why is it evasive or dishonest to resist feeding the prejudices of the
> crowd? Why do we have to reinforce the morbid sense of moral
> superiority that people in the Western world "naturally" feel towards
> Persians, Arabs, Latin Americans, etc.?

I wish I could work out a full version of my critique of negativism -- expressing one's "taste" by focusing on what one disapproves of, because I think it is relevant here. You should look up Dennis Perrin's account of his daughter being embarassed when he picked her up at school because he was playing Springsteen on the car's audio. It just wasn't "cool." That is Doug's attitude on this topic; he is frightened to death of not being "cool" unless he assures everyone in sight that he, of course, is too morally cool to say anything good about those Iranians.

Carrol