[lbo-talk] Can Politics Be Liberated from the von Neumann Style?

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Oct 14 13:48:58 PDT 2007

On Oct 14, 2007, at 1:06 PM, Carrol Cox wrote:

> I wish I could work out a full version of my critique of negativism --
> expressing one's "taste" by focusing on what one disapproves of,
> because
> I think it is relevant here. You should look up Dennis Perrin's
> account
> of his daughter being embarassed when he picked her up at school
> because
> he was playing Springsteen on the car's audio. It just wasn't "cool."
> That is Doug's attitude on this topic; he is frightened to death of
> not
> being "cool" unless he assures everyone in sight that he, of
> course, is
> too morally cool to say anything good about those Iranians.

You're totally full of shit, Carrol. You're constantly criticizing other people for ad hominem arguments and reckless generalizations and yet you do the same thing yourself. "Those Iranians"? They're identical with their government? In the shared fantasy of the Iranian leadership and George W. Bush, maybe, but not in my mind. Dabashi: "For over a decade, a massive, grassroots, Reform Movement inside Iran has shaken the degenerate and corrupt foundation of the clerical rule to its foundations. Thousands have been killed, more have been imprisoned, many more forced into exile. Iranians in and out of their homeland, as well as anyone else slightly interested in their fate, have known these and some have fought valiantly to bring them to world attention." For Yoshie, and evidently you too, these people - Iranians, all of them - don't exist or are just liberal running dogs of imperialism.

Doug