[lbo-talk] the death penalty: Americans luv it

Sean Andrews cultstud76 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 14 20:18:29 PDT 2007

On 10/14/07, dredmond at efn.org <dredmond at efn.org> wrote:
> > Sounds like Mike Davis's _Late Victorian Holocausts_. If
> > so, what do you think of it?
>
> Yes, it's straight from Davis' book, which is quite good. One can always
> quibble with the sources here and there, but the main argument is
> compelling - really, it's an extension of Walter Rodney's insight that
> liberal-era capitalism wrecked the economies of the periphery, which is
> true, to the realm of peasant nutrition.
>
> I constantly harp on it these days because (1) there's a strong tendency
> among Anglo-American intellectuals, myself included, to reduce all human
> evil to the unholy trinity of HSM (Hitler-Stalin-Mao), and (2) a
> corresponding forgetting of the structural violence of US and British
> (neo)colonialism.
>
> -- DRR

Thanks. I've started it and, like in some of his other work, I can understand the general analysis of power and imperialism, but the stuff on climate makes the picture a bit murkier. Still it seems an incredibly relevant work when one considers it against the backdrop of the climate change today and the people most likely to be first and most dramatically affected.

I'm trying to make time to read it but I'm stuck in the 17th century right now (trying to muddle my way through some works on the English revolution, Locke and Hobbes). I'm thinking of saving it for Thanksgiving. It should make for some good conversations when I go home to TX for dinner.