[lbo-talk] Privatization Iranian Style (was Iran, a model for oil privatization)

Robert Wrubel bobwrubel at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 14 22:20:02 PDT 2007

I think this clears up one thing for me: "privatization" in Iran's case is different from privatization in Iraq. The latter means rape of the country's resources by foreign capital, while the former means disgorging of the state's resources from the "state" to some smaller state agencies. Is there a flavor of corruption in this? Is this privatization in the Russian sense?

BobW

<http://montages.blogspot.com/2007/10/privatization-iranian-style.html>
> [...]
> fields. This type
> of arrangement provides NIOC with ample
> incentive
> to continue to work on diversifying
> Iran's petroleum
> industry, as any improvement in non-oil
> capability
> will benefit NIOC directly. However, it
> also has the
> potential for long-term conflict between
> state interests
> in maximizing the revenue from oil, and
> NIOC
> preference to focus on gas and
> petrochemicals as
> more lucrative ventures. (Brumberg and
> Ahram,
> pp. 30-31)
>

> 1 This is Privatization Iranian Style:
>
> The Tehran stock exchange has broken its record
> for
> the highest ever transaction on the nascent
> bourse
> with the sale of shares worth over $1 billion
> dollars in
> a state copper company, media reported
> yesterday.
>
> Twenty percent of shares in National Iranian
> Copper
> Industries were sold in less than seven minutes
> on
> Wednesday for 10 trillion rials ($1.1 billion).
>
> The purchaser was a consortium made up mainly
> of
> state companies, including the pension funds of
> the
> steel industry and state broadcasting, the
> reports said.
>
> While the shares have been sold as part of the
> government's ongoing privatization program, the
> fact
> the purchasers are themselves state entities
> casts
> doubt on whether this can be termed a real
> privatization.
>
> Another 20 percent of the company would go on
> sale
> in the next week, media reports said.
>
> The deal easily tops the previous high set
> earlier this
> year when the Iranian government sold almost
> $110
> million worth of shares in a leading steel
> company.
>
> Privatization program:
>
> The state currently has a grip on over
> three-quarters of
> Iran's economy and supreme leader Ayatollah Ali
> Khamenei last year issued a decree envisaging a
> major
> program of privatization.
>
> Drawn up by the Expediency Council, Iran's top
> political
> arbitration body headed by former president
> Akbar
> Hashemi Rafsanjani, the plan aims to ease state
> control
> over the economy.
>
> The program set out by Khamenei to privatize 80
> percent
> of public and state institutions notably
> excludes firms in
> the oil and energy sector as well as industries

=== message truncated ===