[lbo-talk] Che: the New Yorker's view

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 15 13:01:04 PDT 2007

Doug wrote:

>Bono. He's more sanctimonious

Sting has his moments. He wrote this letter to the Village Voice in response to an article from 1987 called "Bring Me the Head of Gordon Sumner" The article included this comparison between Sting and Hasil Adkins: "If Sting is the disease, then Hasil Adkins is the cure, Hasil Adkins has more life in him than Sting ever had or ever will."

Dear Editor:

Oscar Wilde­"The school of criticism wherein the worst is championed as the best, and the best as the worst, is merely a form of autobiography."

Mmm...maybe you've got a point there, Oscar; let me try and explain this to Howard Hampton.

Oh Howard, why do I see you so clearly? The curse of psychic powers wedded to the transparency of your writing reveals you as a eunich [sic] at a Lester "Gang Bangs" masturbating dryly over pictures of war atrocities, wallowing in the squalid enormities of History's charnel house. Nothing beautiful can be tolerated in your world because without hatred you feel nothing, you love perversion and despise life. I'm so glad you despise me.

You patronise Hasil Adkins because he is inept (not necessarily a bad thing­I'm no critic). Because he's inept, he doesn't threaten the fragility of your self-esteem, your tenuous but essential feeling of superiority over the rest of the human race; you hate music and you hate people. This isn't Hasil's fault either­it's just that the only way you can get any attention in the big world is to threaten to smash my head against your wall­music criticism in the Fourth Reich.

If as you say the average fascist scumbag wouldn't be in the least offended by my work, then how come it got up your nose so successfully you dipshit fascist simpleton?

As far as "feelings, politics, hope, all [being] traduced into commodities"­let's try and forget that The Village Voice is owned by Rupert (every writer has his price) Murdoch. At this rate Howard you could end up as editor and be even more helpful to him in his worldwide crusade to depoliticize the populace by supplying them with meaningless, mind-numbing garbage. [Editor's note: Rupert Murdoch has not owned The Village Voice since July 1985.]