[lbo-talk] Can Politics Be Liberated from the von Neumann

Jim Straub rustbeltjacobin at gmail.com
Mon Oct 15 14:04:10 PDT 2007

Well... we did influence the general public in the anti-war movement before the start of the war. The anti- movement then was big, it was growing, but it was not enough.

Since then, tho, I think the left has been completely divorced from the general public's turn against the war. I think the evening news and Bush's bumbling incompetence and the cost of it in terms of US lives and money have influenced people to turn against the war, not at all the actions or analysis of the left. As a result, if you dig into the reasons most people have turned against the war, there's usually some messed up stuff in there. None of the national soul-searching of a vietnam. "Let em eat sand", that's what I hear most often from returning soldiers.