[lbo-talk] Brief history of health care in U.S.

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Tue Oct 16 07:57:54 PDT 2007

Joanna quoted:

The remaining choice is twofold: either the further expansion and entrenchment of personal-HSA plans, in which workers-consumers pay a greater share of total costs and corporations exit in stages from any liability for health care financing, or a return to the idea of a true single payer universal health care system delivered through the Social Security system.

[WS:] I am afraid that the single payer system is pretty much DOA in this country. It too much smacks of "welfare" for the "average 'Murican" and of course the insurance and health industrial complex will fight it tooth and nail.

It looks that there are only two real alternatives to personal HAS plans: either voting with one's feet and obtaining health care (together with residence) elsewhere, or the destruction of the US and replacing it with several smaller states. The latter is not out of the realm of possibilities, but I would not hold my breath to witness it during my life time (albeit I would really love to see it happening.) That leaves us with the former option, in which folks like you and I, who have dual citizenship have an edge, but for most ordinary 'Muricans it is a no starter either. So it looks like it will be personal-HSA plans covered with heavy dollops of patriotism and flag waving.

Wojtek