[lbo-talk] Can Politics Be Liberated from the von Neumann Style?)

Tayssir John Gabbour tayssir.john at googlemail.com
Wed Oct 17 01:06:36 PDT 2007

On 10/16/07, andie nachgeborenen <andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I'd rather just say, Don't bomb Iran! US out of the
> Middle East! right here, to my own communities hoping
> to influence my own government. If asked, doesn't the
> Iranian government suck, I'll say, yea and so what?

Yeah, I just mention that Iran had a secular, democratic parliamentary government, until we overthrew it and installed the Shah. And they had to overthrow our puppet regime.

Let's try a thought experiment: What kind of gov't might we expect, if say China somehow overthrew the US government in the 1950's? Might it still have some regressive features 50 years later?

The US had centuries to develop free from outside attack. Even now, we still have highly regressive features. Like the fact that we imprison more of our own citizenry than any nation in the world (with the possible exception of China, with 4X our population).

I'm very partial to heads of state viewed as mafia bosses. So yeah, they're all suspicious. Like corporations: There are more or less progressive corporations, but we can nevertheless predict all sorts of regressive things from them.

Tayssir