[lbo-talk] Armenian genocide?

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Wed Oct 17 10:02:07 PDT 2007

On Wed, 17 Oct 2007, Chris Doss wrote:

> Why isn't there anybody in the US lobbying for a slavery museum?

We have one:

http://www.usnationalslaverymuseum.org/home.asp

And actually we have lots. We've got slavery historical sites all over the place, as part of the Federal Park service, state parks services, and as part of municipal and private foundations. More even than holocaust sites, believe it or not. They've got organized tours to see strings of them.

Even in New York, the African Burial Ground -- a museum to slavery -- probably gets comparable action to the holocaust museum. Doesn't seem to be as well funded though. Perhaps ethnically conscious black philanthrapists have better options for spending their money than their Jewish counterparts.

The thing about holocaust sites is that every memorial has to be a kind of general museum to the thing as a whole because we haven't got any specific historical sites to memorialize because the holocaust didn't happen here.

Michael