[lbo-talk] Beauty in Islam (was Tariq Ali and the Bolivarian revolutions)

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 17 14:14:35 PDT 2007

Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

"What should a feminist, especially a Muslim feminist, do? Don't look into the Western and Islamist mirrors. Instead, play with Orientalism and Occidentalism in aesthetic elaboration of Islamic civilization, inventing a new tradition of beauty in Islam and defamiliarizing it at the same time."

B.:--

Well, Yoshie, while we're kicking back on the porch and freely riffing ideas off the tops of our heads in pure, but nonetheless extremely fanciful, conjecture, about places far across the planet from us, why don't we project some more daydreams that-a-way: How about a wacky new Iranian fad where THE MEN WEAR HIJAB, BUT NOT THE WOMEN? Now THAT would be nutty. Or how about instead of using paper currency, they used seashells? To buy stuff! Man, what a fun place that would be to imagine. People could also wear gloves, but not on their hands -- ON THEIR FEET!

Also, about the Armenian genocide thread, I was expecting you to weigh in there. Aren't you an expert on that, too?

All-Iran, all the time,

-B.