[lbo-talk] Armenian genocide?

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 17 18:26:58 PDT 2007

Shane Mage offered this quote:

"Who, today, remembers the Armenians?"

--Adolf Hitler

Jordan replied:

Who says? Barbara Boxer?

Cite, please.

All hail Wikipedia, your shiny new god!

from -

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armenian_Genocide>

Influence of the Armenian Genocide on Adolf Hitler

The Armenian Genocide is often speculated to have influenced Adolf Hitler, owing to his various references to the Ottoman killings of Armenians.[70] The extent of Hitler's knowledge of the Armenian Genocide is unclear, though he did refer to their destruction several times.[71] The most notable quote attributed to Hitler on the Armenians is excerpted from an August 1939 military conference, prior to the invasion of Poland:“ I have issued the command — and I’ll have anybody who utters but one word of criticism executed by a firing squad — that our war aim does not consist in reaching certain lines, but in the physical destruction of the enemy. Accordingly, I have placed my death-head formation in readiness — for the present only in the East — with orders to them to send to death mercilessly and without compassion, men, women, and children of Polish derivation and language. Only thus shall we gain the living space [Lebensraum] which we need. Who, after all, speaks today of the annihilation of the Armenians?[72] ”

There are numerous accounts of Hitler speaking in regards to the Armenians, with at least two similar versions of the 1939 speech coming from the German High Command archives. In 1931, for example, two years prior to his ascension as Germany's leader, Hitler noted in an interview that "everywhere people are awaiting a new world order. We intend to introduce a great resettlement policy

remember the extermination of the Armenians."[73] In 1943, during the height of his attempts to exterminate the Jews in Europe, Hitler demanded of Hungarian regent Admiral Miklós Horthy that he deport the Jews from the country: "Nations which did not get rid of the Jews perished. One of the most famous examples of this was the downfall of a people who were so proud — the Persians, who now lead a pitiful existence as Armenians."[74]

[...]

full (with cites) at url.

Thus endeth the reading.

.d.