[lbo-talk] Dewey on intelligence, co-operation, and class

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Thu Oct 18 08:47:40 PDT 2007

ravi wrote:
> First the quote:
>
> To say that all past historic social progress has been the
> result of co-operation and not of conflict would be ... an
> exaggeration. But exaggeration against exaggeration, it is
> the more reasonable of the two. And it is no exaggeration
> to say that the measure of civilisation is the degree in
> which the method of co-operative intelligence replaces the
> method of brute conflict.
>
> Most who consider themselves leftists will probably neither disagree
> not find anything particularly novel in the above.
I disagree wholeheartedly. The assumption that civilisation is characterized by "co-operative intelligence" in contradistinction to the brutal conflict in "noncivilized" societies is ethnocentric through and through. Comparing social relations in hunting and gathering societies and our "civilized" society, I'd flip the binary above: brutal conflict is more prevalent in our "civilized" society and "cooperative intelligence" is more prevalent in the hunting and gathering society. Just to shoot fish in a barrel, no hunting and gathering society in the history of the planet has accomplished as much carnage, destruction, and human suffering as the U. S. military has in Iraq.

Miles