[lbo-talk] Hillary raking it in from the Masters of War

Carl Remick carlremick at gmail.com
Thu Oct 18 08:58:49 PDT 2007

> [This is big news. About the only remaining major biz support for the
> Reps is oil.]
>
> <http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2007/10/17/defense-industry-
> embraces_n_68927.html>
>
> Defense Industry Embraces Democrats, Hillary By Far The Favorite
> October 17, 2007 11:07 PM

[And let's not forget, the Dems have particularly strong ties with old friends in the biz community.]

October 18, 2007 Accused Law Firm Continues Giving to Democrats By MIKE McINTIRE

Over the years, as it became Exhibit A for critics of shareholders' class action lawsuits, the law firm of Milberg Weiss often enjoyed the support of Democrats who called the suits an invaluable weapon in the universal conflict between big business and the little guy.

The Democrats, in turn, enjoyed the support of Milberg Weiss and its partners, who together have contributed more than $7 million to the party's candidates since the 1980s.

Last year, the firm was indicted on federal charges of fraud and bribery. But the political partnership has not been entirely severed. Since the indictment, 26 Democrats around the country, including four presidential candidates, have accepted $150,000 in campaign contributions from people connected to Milberg Weiss, according to state and federal campaign finance records. And some Democrats have taken public actions that potentially helped the firm or its former partners.

The recent contributors include current and former Milberg partners who had either been indicted or were widely reported to be facing potential criminal problems when they wrote their checks. One, William S. Lerach, was a fund-raiser for John Edwards's presidential campaign until his guilty plea last month. Melvyn I. Weiss, a founder of the firm, gave the maximum $4,600 to Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton of New York in June. Other firm members contributed to the presidential campaigns of Senators Barack Obama of Illinois and Joseph R. Biden Jr. of Delaware.

Milberg Weiss reaped billions of dollars in legal fees over four decades as the acknowledged king of class action lawsuits, which accused executives of misleading investors with erroneous financial statements or some other fraud. According to the indictment, the New York-based firm ran a "racketeering enterprise" that collected a quarter billion dollars in 250 cases in which people were paid secret kickbacks for serving as plaintiffs. ...

<http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/18/us/politics/18milberg.html?hp>

Carl