[lbo-talk] paler shade of white: race and current indie rock

bitch at pulpculture.org bitch at pulpculture.org
Thu Oct 18 20:15:44 PDT 2007

At 07:19 AM 10/18/2007, you wrote:

>On Oct 18, 2007, at 6:07 AM, Blackmail wrote:
>
> > [Personal favorite, if you can forgive the Mammonism, is that the
> > New Yorker
> > publishes what I consider their attempt at sensationalism...and
> > then they
> > don't have comments on the blog page, you know, to harness the traffic
> > that's pounding the I Love Music page. Then I mumble something
> > about print
> > media wanting to survive as things go online...]
>
>No comments? Zounds! Are there any comments on the vast web that
>aren't stupid or witless or indulgent or trivial? Even Gawker, which
>auditions commenters and "executes" the duds, sports some pretty
>pathetic dialogue. The Nation's comments are deeply idiotic. The
>comments usually point up how much better professional writers are at
>writing than the peanut gallery. You know of exceptions?
>
>Doug

Don't know about anyone else, but at my blog, I found most of the commenters are doing it while at work. When you're not exactly paying attention to what you're doing, it's hard to have any meaningful conversation. For most folks, it's exceedingly time consuming and I've been told by not a few people that it's hard to write -- it takes time, thought, care and so it's easy to shoot off quick responses that don't mean a whole lot. Plus, it's an argumentative space, and so many people just have time for a sustained, in -depth argument.

bl

"You know how it is, come for the animal porn, stay for the cultural analysis." -- Michael Berube

Bitch | Lab http://blog.pulpculture.org (NSFW)