[lbo-talk] Jewish "nation"? (Was Armenian genocide?)

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 19 06:52:13 PDT 2007

Here's a map of the Pale to make my point more obvious. It included all of what is now Belarus, almost all of Ukraine, what is now Moldova, Lithuania and part of Poland: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Pale_of_Settlement_map.jpg

--- Chris Doss <lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I think I have to take some issue over the last bit.
> The Jews didn't have their own territory to be
> sovereign over -- though something like 95% of the
> Jews of the Empire lived in the Pale, they were only
> 10% of the population in the Pale (much larger in
> some
> of the cities). The population was overwhelmingly
> Ukrainian, Belorusian, etc, depending on where you
> were. If you were to travel through Ukraine c. 1900,
> you would pass by a Ukrainian village where
> everybody
> spoke Ukrainian, then maybe a Yiddish-speaking
> Jewish
> village, and then maybe a Tatar village if you were
> in
> Crimea. They all inhabited the same territory. Some
> of
> these villages would also be multiethnic (Lazar
> Kaganovich was from the Jewish community inside a
> larger ethnic Ukrainian village, for instance. Very
> close to Chernobyl, by coincidence.).

Lyubo, bratsy, lyubo, lyubo, bratsy, zhit!

ËÞÁÎ, ÁÐÀÒÖÛ, ËÞÁÎ, ËÞÁÎ, ÁÐÀÒÖÛ, ÆÈÒÜ!