[lbo-talk] weird meat

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 19 08:09:48 PDT 2007

This exotic meat-eating crap seems to be some weird manly affectation, like Kinky Friedman's cigars and Stetson, a kind of follow-up adjunct to the extreme sports rock climbing gym crap of the 90s; ballsy macho crap that got you respected in 70/80s Charles Bronson-type cop movies, but embarrassing to watch now. Shark fin soup? Let' try it! What is the craziest, most insane dead animal I an get in my gullet?

Just more reasons I'd thank God, if there was one -- and since there isn't, I thank myself -- I'm a vegetarian-who's-constantly-pondering going vegan. My cholesterol reading a few days ago was 120. Cholesterol is only found in animal products, with "trace amounts" in only a very few plants. I do have dairy (I do love cheese), but I can't stand milk. I know a lot of cholesterol is genetic, however.

Having said that, I think Doug's cited latest trend of eating macho EXTREEEMEE shit is inane and ridiculous. It seems to be for the sake of the people doing the watching. Do they have dinners of this stuff when no one's watching, or only on cameras and TV shows. Either way, sounds gross.

There is a sense, though, in which grown men suckling the milk of bovines that has been produced for their offspring -- is rather bizarre.

-B.

Doug Henwood wrote:

"http://gridskipper.com/travel/new-york/new-yorks-weirdest-meat-311662.php Eating weird shit is all the rage. You've got Bourdain on the Travel Channel gnawing warthog rectum in Namibia and wolfing down jellied sheep testicles in Iceland. Then there's the other guy on the Travel Channel -- you know, the bald one -- whose penchant for worms sometimes approaches Fear Factor territory."