[lbo-talk] Jewish "nation"? (Was Armenian genocide?)

Marvin Gandall marvgandall at videotron.ca
Mon Oct 22 07:56:06 PDT 2007

============================== I should have just stopped the sentance at "albeit an oppressed one...". The intent was to endorse Chris' observation that the Yiddish-speaking Jews constituted a nation which disappeared in the Holocaust, and to show by comparison that the Zionist-inspired fiction of a multicultural Jewish nation across the Disapora was a fiction. Political sovereignty over their own communities, so far as I know, was never an issue for the EE Jews perhaps because, as you point out, they already enjoyed a degree of local autonomy. That would have further underscored that it was not a practical solution to pogroms and poverty, and that their only alternatives were to emigrate or join political organizations working to overthrow the Tsarist order.