[lbo-talk] BBC 10/20/07: Gorbachev sets up Russia movement

Peter Lavelle untimely_thoughts at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 22 08:48:21 PDT 2007

Gorbachev is widely hated in Russia - no, he is probably the most hated person in Russia! Nonetheless, Putin has made it clear that Gorbachev be treated with dignity and respect. And I agree with this. I have met and talked to Gorbachev a number of times over the past four years or so and he clearly speaks his mind (and actually is very supportive of Putin's foreign policy goals).

A good friend of mine went to the Gorchachev gathering. He said it was "very pleasant." "He only want to show that he is still active."

As for Kasparov! Well, all I can say he is a national joke. He only has entertainment value here. He has a new book out and what does he do? Starts his book signing tour in the US! Yes! And this is widely reported in Russia. He prefers to address the West even before his "own people."

Personally, Kasparov disgusts me. I called him once for an interview. Once he recognized me and the place where I work, he said f*** *** in English. Please, don't be fooled by this guy.......

"3.3.3." <lslelel at gmail.com> wrote: I am actually really curious about this, any experts want to weigh in? I think Gorby attempted something similar before, building a new party, and then walking away from it.

Gorbachev and Kasparov are really intriguing to listen to now a days.