[lbo-talk] a few points

bhandari at berkeley.edu bhandari at berkeley.edu
Mon Oct 22 09:55:12 PDT 2007

1. CB Machpherson's criticism of Milton Friedman's defense of the free contract falls short of Marx's own demonstration of how contract becomes appropriation, turns into its opposite. I tried to defend Marx's argument in chs 22-24 of capital volume I in the conversation about justice. 2. Joseph Bernal wrote powerful criticism of the kind of intellectual obscurantism that served as an obstacle to the scientific understanding of nature and society or its rational control. I think Nanda may reject too much in the name of anti-obsurantism--post positivist philosophies of science, the philosophical exploration of epistemological and ontological uncertainty, the power/knowledge nexus. Having read some of her previous work, I am worried about some lacking nuance, though I think she is very brave to have challenged real obscurantism. 3. People may enjoy this provocative paper on the tolerance of Islam in the West. See paper by Talal Asad.

http://townsendcenter.berkeley.edu/swg_crittheory.shtml

wish I could have kept up with the interesting discussions. rb