[lbo-talk] Counterpunch jumps the shark

Chuck chuck at mutualaid.org
Mon Oct 22 12:09:35 PDT 2007

Doug Henwood wrote:
> On Oct 22, 2007, at 12:41 PM, Chuck wrote:
>

>>Today they have this unintentionally hilarious piece by Revolutionary
>>Communist Party/World Can't Wait (for liberal donations) flack Sunsar
>>Taylor. Smack dab in the middle of her article on David Horowitz,
>>"David
>>Horowitz Can't Handle the Truth", she stops to sing the praises of
>>Chairman Bob Avakian
>

> Wow, and she uses the word "polemicizing." That usage is almost
> pathognomonic of sectarianism.

It almost sounds like Chairman Bob sent out an edict that RCP writers were to promote him as much as they can in their columns and articles. It's even more interesting because Taylor was being presented as an independent leader within World Can't Wait. This just breaks down the fiction that WCW is anything but a front group for the RCP.

I was talking to somebody the other day about the RCP. We both agreed that the RCP has some talented activists and some good writers. I had actually warmed up to them back in 2000-2001. I was kind of hoping that they were moving into a more libertarian direction, kind of like what happened with the Left Turn split from the ISO. This other person pointed out that the RCP took a wrong turn around 2001-2002 when somebody decided that Chairman Bob was to return as the centerpiece of the organization. Now the worship and promotion of Chairman Bob dominates that organization. You have to wonder if some of the more intelligent members of the RCP have gotten fed up with Chairman Bob.

Chuck