[lbo-talk] "Islamofascism Awareness Week" (was Marjane Satrapi: Revolutionary Spirit)

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Oct 23 08:17:04 PDT 2007

On Oct 23, 2007, at 10:52 AM, Michael Smith wrote:

> I started prowling back through
> it to see what terrible thing she's done this time. As usual,
> I took away the impression that she's taking a lot more personal
> insults than she's handing out, and in general, her tone is
> much more temperate and on-topic that her detractors'.

Saying Andie, someone I know fairly well in the real world, and not just as a dotcomrade (a word I just learned today, thanks to the Urban Dictionary's word of the day), is just like Phyllis Chesler and Little Green Footballs - repulsive entities, both of them - is a slur, and a desperate one at that. She's said similar things to me many times.

YF managed to exhaust the patience of two other list moderators, Michael Perelman and Lou Proyect. These are two very different temperaments - Michael is the temperate and gentle guy, but I don't think anyone would use those words to describe Lou. I probably fall somewhere between the two.

So if she apologizes to Andie and witdraws the slur, then she can continue to post her three a day. I just approved two apology- and retraction-free posts. Those are the last I'll approve until the apology/retraction comes through.

Doug