[lbo-talk] Why I Skip Anti-Globalization Protests

Angelus Novus fuerdenkommunismus at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 23 10:33:37 PDT 2007

Chuck wrote:

> the anti-capitalist protest in Georgetown was
> organizedby activists who *are* part of
long-standing > groups.

Ah, so they're "activists". In other words, they're cranks and monomaniacs who have the time to engage in inconsequentional, ritualized activity which purports to effect some sort of change, but which in reality serves as a sort of therapy and self-validation for the individuals involved, a reassurance that they are at least "doing something".

> More importantly these protests have the backing
> of people around the world

I see. Have you conducted a poll?

> who want Americans to do something

"Do something". That's it? Just "something"? Without regard for whether that something is capable of effecting any change or is merely an expression of ritualized protest?

> he strategy is that actions like this provide a
basis > for an upswing in anti-capitalist activism. You build > on this by organizing follow-up protests and
> campaigns. You tie this in with the rowdy protests
> that will be happening next year at the RNC and DNC
> conventions.

In other words, what you propose is more ritualized protest, more inconsequentional symbolic violence, a few smashed windows here, a few chanted slogans there.

But nothing to help people understand the abstract forms of social life which necessarily determine and circumscribe their activity.

This is "activism" as a mere subculture, and a rather lame and unattractive subculture at that.