[lbo-talk] "Islamofascism Awareness Week"

BklynMagus magcomm at ix.netcom.com
Tue Oct 23 11:29:18 PDT 2007

> How do we as mostly secular leftists relate to
religiously minded people, such as militant Islamists who might be engaged in anti-imperialist struggle?

We support them in their shared identification of a great threat, in this case, imperialist activity.

> In fact ought we relate to the religious who share
many of the same enemies as we do, but who might dream of a religiously based utopia, unlike ourselves?

We can relate to them, but also point out that while we are opposed to the same danger, we are also opposed to their alternative (as they are free to do with regard to our version of utopia).

This way there are fewer suprises down the road. You are honest and transparent up front by identifying areas of agreement as well as areas of contestation.

Brian