[lbo-talk] Why I Skip Anti-Globalization Protests

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 23 13:02:38 PDT 2007

Ladies, ladies, ladies!

Let me just gingerly step in to say that as someone who's read Dennis's blog since its beginning that it isn't "just" about pop culture, like Chuck said. In fact, a lot of the take on politics and the economy you'll find has sctually a very anarchist-y spin to it, a la how Dems and the GOP are two factions of the business party and all that. There are often pretty emotional (but accurate) posts about the US war machine and imperialism and the sheer human misery it causes others across the globe.

Having said that, blogs that are "just" about pop culture can be important, entertaining, pleasurable, and even useful; Chuck has defended a guilty interest in pop culture a time or two. You can view culture, pop or not, through certain lenses that are amenable to anti-capitalist analysis. This surely isn't news to anyone! Or you can also just have fun -- let's not be too Catholic on prohibitions against that? There are some pop culture blogs that are worthless -- LIKE WHITNEY MATHESON'S "POP CANDY" BLOG FOR USA TODAY WHICH SHE GETS PAID FOR EVEN THOUGH IT SUCKS TOTAL ASS http://blogs.usatoday.com/popcandy (please email others & share this info with them, that WHITNEY MATHESON'S POP CANDY BLOG SUCKS ASS). There are others that really showcase what a lurid spectacle "capitalism in decline" can be.

-B.

Doug wrote:

"Enough, boys."

Dennis Perrin wrote:

"As you wish. But before I go, allow me to plug my next book after the one I'm currently writing, 'My Limited Personal Attacks on People Who Are Doing Something: Notes From A Do-Nothing Wanker Who Feels Guilty About His Own Inadequacy' (Coffeehouse Press)."