[lbo-talk] Islamofascism Awareness Week

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Tue Oct 23 14:30:30 PDT 2007

Jerry Monaco wrote:
>... If with every breadth we condemn the wrongs
> > > committed by the current Iranian regime we don't also
>> > say that
>> > we overthrew a regime (Mossadeq) that might have prevented those crimes,
>>
>> No shit. Really. This is all very obvious. I really don't know who is
>> condemning the "current" regime (Mossadeq? I thought that was the one
> > that was overthrown) with every "breadth." You're not making any sense.
>
>The paretheses was misplaced. Sorry. Does that defeat the argument?

What has been, quite understandably, forgotten here is that the "Mossadeq regime" (really reformist-nationalist government) was overthrown not once but twice, and "we" had nothing to do with the second overthrow. In 1979, after the Shah abandoned ship, the Majlis elected the leader of the Mossaqeq party, Shapur Bakhtiar, as prime minister. His "regime," nationalist, democratic, and progressive in program, was overthrown in days by the Khomeinists.

Shane Mage

"Thunderbolt steers all things...It consents and does not consent to be called Zeus."

Herakleitos of Ephesos