[lbo-talk] "Islamofascism Awareness Week"

ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Tue Oct 23 14:51:20 PDT 2007

A bunch of replies:

On 23 Oct, 2007, at 12:57 PM, BklynMagus wrote:

>> I have given here much information, especially
> concerning the claim that Iran's government is
> hanging "the queers" but also on other subjects
> in your statement, that contradicts what you say
> are "facts."
>
> The fact that Yoshie types "the queers" as if we
> were some imaginary animal is part of my problem.
>
> Queers exist. Iranian queers exist (some are my
> friends). So the scare quotes are inappropriate.

We really need to stop getting afraid of quotes. I believe the quotes are to repeat the claim: that the government was hanging people because they were "the queers" -- as opposed to being hanged for other things. BTW, if people are hanged, why not penises? Shouldn't it be "well-hanged", for the size queens who care?

On 23 Oct, 2007, at 15:43 PM, Doug Henwood wrote:
> On Oct 23, 2007, at 3:21 PM, BklynMagus wrote:
>
>>> Everyday that we talk about the crimes of Iran we
>> are ignoring the crimes of the U.S. the crimes that
>> "we" commit.
>>
>> No, we are not.
>
> Who made that silly remark you're quoting? I missed the original and
> am too lazy to search. Do people have such limited mental capacity
> that they can't do both?

Indeed! I think we should all post about US atrocities, Iranian atrocities, an elegy in honour of Edward Said, random sections of the man(1) man page, transcripts of assorted sounds from nature, and quite definitely lyrics from The Doobie Brothers (or was it Michael McDonald) singing "What a fool believes, he sees, no wise man has the power, to reason away". Damn if we don't have the mental capacity!

On 23 Oct, 2007, at 16:28 PM, BklynMagus wrote:
>> It is altogether possible that if the U.S. did
> not commit those crimes against Iran (the
> overthrow of the Iranian government_ the crimes
> (against homosexuals) that you protest so much
> against would not even exist.
>
> You are so right. How could I miss it? If only
> the U.S. stopped its actions against Iran, there
> would be a Gay Pride Parade next June in Teheran.

You sneer, but the probability of that parade is indeed higher had the US stopped its action against Iran.... to topple Mossadeg. Oh but wait... this is not the same thing. Put Mossadeg back in power and the righteous leftists of the USA will quell any attempts by our government to topple him again.

--ravi