[lbo-talk] Reps *hate* Hillary

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Oct 24 07:18:19 PDT 2007

On Oct 24, 2007, at 9:52 AM, Alex Hogan wrote:

> I find the fanatical hatred of the Clintons to be fascinating,
> largely because of its seeming irrationality. Bill Clinton accepted
> the domination of the right to be a fact and adjusted his politics
> accordingly. And even Bill Kristol admitted that Hillary is the
> favored Dem for the neocons-not just because she would be an easy
> target for the GOP but because she is the Democrat closest to their
> politics. The corporate world is very comfortable with Hillary so
> what's up with the right's deranged hatred of her?

The cynical explanation is that Bill stole their issues - after welfare reform, they were denied their standard racist tales of welfare queens. He balanced the budget that they put out of whack - and she may repeat the trick. But there's also something to the cultural explanation - to trad vals types, they're the incarnation of the 60s and despise them for it.

Here's Hillary on her marriage, quoted in today's Note. Remember, this is part of her scheme for softening/feminizing her image! "I never doubted that it was a marriage worth investing in even in the midst of those challenges and I'm really happy that I made that decision. Again, not a decision for everybody. And I think it's so important for women to stand up for the right of women to make a decision that is best for them." Invested indeed. How 60s.

Doug