[lbo-talk] "Islamofascism Awareness Week"

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Oct 24 10:01:45 PDT 2007

On Oct 24, 2007, at 11:20 AM, ravi wrote:

> He did not go
> crusading into their midst, a la Dawkins, whaling on about how
> childish their beliefs are, etc. That's the point!

It is? Who would do that?

There's a lot of talk about how "the left," broadly defined, should appeal to the religious not as people but as religious people, through religious means. Remember the Jim Wallis boomlet? Ever read Michael Lerner's sermons? There is no reason to do that - it doesn't really work, and it runs the risk of dragging people to the right. E.g., yesterday's scandal of Obama and his homophobic gospel singer. Adolph's message is that there's no reason to talk god talk at all. Seems to me the same thing would apply internationally. Why appeal, to take some random example, to Muslims as Muslims? Why not just as anti-imperialists? They can do what they like with their god, and I can do what I like with my non-god.

Doug