[lbo-talk] Iran Poll

Yann Morvan ymorvan at cs.tcd.ie
Wed Oct 24 15:39:49 PDT 2007

As they say around here, what are you on about Wojtek ?

Wojtek:

> The Left can either acknowledge that and use the EU institutional
> architecture as the basis for its new plans for the [future]

The current trend for the "EU institutional architecture" is towards unaccountable bodies (European Commission, E. Central Bank) with sympathetic ears for the kind of bureaucrat whisperers you find in chambers of commerce or industrialist roundtables. (Cf _ Europe inc_ , by Belen Balanyá and others, or _ Europe, la trahison des elites _ by Raoul Marc Jennar) And no I don't want to hear that these guys are the saviors of mankind, unjustly martyred by the ungrateful left.

> I can go as far as predict that most
> third countries that manage to develop will eventually adopt some
> version of
> the EU model.

With the EU in fact even less helpful than the US if one is to believe what trade talks observers (such as the recently mentionned Aileen Kwa) report, you might as well have stopped writing at "manage to develop".

Now for the necessary momment of euro self-hating, I give you: fortresseurope.blogspot.com/2006/02/immigrants-dead-at-frontiers-of-europe_16.html

(sorry I couldn't be bothered finding a page about France's charter flight zeal in English)

Yann