[lbo-talk] Islamofascism Awareness Week

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Oct 25 04:53:46 PDT 2007

On Oct 25, 2007, at 6:09 AM, Jerry Monaco wrote:

> Simply put, the U.S. state is within some compass of your agency and
> my agency, and the Iranian state is not. Therefore you bear
> responsibility for the actions of the U.S. state. You don't bear
> responsibility of the actions of the Iranian state because it is not
> in the compass of your agency.

Again I have to say, "no shit." I've said at least twenty times that it's up to Iranians to settle the affairs of the Iranian state. I don't think it's my business to intervene, except to the extent that Iranians ask for help from friends in the U.S. and elsewhere. What I object to is Yoshie's apologias for the Iranian state, and her inflated notions of Islam as a vehicle for anti-imperialist resistance. So why all this high-toned moral bleating?

Is it verboten, in this moral universe, to analyze the nature of Iranian state and society? Hell, I don't have much influence over California politics - does that mean I shouldn't talk about the political ecology of the southern California fires either?

Doug