[lbo-talk] Quitting job: etiquette???

John S Costello joxn.costello at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 10:41:03 PDT 2007

On 10/24/07, joanna <123hop at comcast.net> wrote:
> I'm about to switch jobs. Leaving evil megacorporation and going back to
> work in a beloved small startup.
>
> Any quitting advice would be appreciated. Though I loathed the evil
> megacorp, I really liked my mgr and engineers I worked with. Do I send
> an email? Or drive in for a face to face? Or call? I work at home 99% of
> the time. How much notice? What to say that isn't a nauseating cliche?
> Dwayne! Everybody! Help!

When I quit at my really evil megacorp I let my functional manager (whom I really liked) know far in advance, but I gave my HR manager 2 weeks notice.

I think 2 weeks notice is customary, so they have a chance to get crucial knowledge transferred from you to someone who will have to do your job, arrange to get their hardware back from you (if you have any), and so forth.

-- "The more I practice, the luckier I get." -- Ben Hogan