[lbo-talk] Quitting job: etiquette???

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 25 07:12:57 PDT 2007

I used to work with a local IWW General Membership Branch. One of the things I quickly realized was how little people know about labor law. Including myself. It was a learning process.

I mention this because I was surprised at the number of people I met who thought it was a LEGAL requirement to give an employer two weeks' notice. And a surprising number folks thought if the company policy was that you couldn't have a union, well, you couldn't have one. A lot of folks didn't realize it was illegal to prohibit employees from starting union, even if a policy handbook said the company preferred not to have them (well of course they don't, duh). I would always ask for a copy of the policy handbooks that said they couldn't have one but I don't recall ever getting one.

But probably a bigger barrier to labor organizing was the simple idea that the job folks worked right then would not the job they'd be working down the road; it's temporary, they'll advance, etc., so why go to all the bother to start a union at this midway point in their career? That, and it brings up nasty feelings about bosses, and many folks preferred to believe bosses were like paternal nobles with whom they shared a happy relationship, and mention of unions, etc., would bring out Mr. Hyde and things'd get ugly and unpleasant.

Off-topic, but the two weeks' thing reminded me of the folks I've met who thought it was a legal requirement to give two weeks', not just a nice, but voluntary, gesture, to secure a good reference.

-B.

Dwayne Monroe wrote:

"Here are the steps I've followed every time I've quit a job:

1.) Write a short, pleasant letter, stating, as Andie mentioned, how lovely it was to work for the firm and how much you've gained professionally. Despite these pluses, you've received an offer you couldn't refuse: it's time to move on. Of course, you'll be more than happy to do any 'knowledge transfer' that's possible within the two week notice period (check your employment contract - if you have one - to verify that two weeks is acceptable)."