[lbo-talk] Quitting job: etiquette???

Steven L. Robinson srobin21 at comcast.net
Thu Oct 25 11:29:48 PDT 2007

I am surprized that a lot of people don't know about employment "at will" - that an individual can be fired for any or no reason. Unless you are self employed, work in a union shop or work for the government, you can be fired at a moment's notice. It is in virtually every employee handbook and on many employment applications, altho not usually emphasized at the outset of the employment relationship. Once you know about it, though, it is scary. You can lose your means of sustenance at a moment's notice, on the whim of a boss.

The balance of power in the work place would surely change drastically if this legal doctrine were done away with. SR

-------------- Original message -------------- From: "B." <docile_body at yahoo.com>

. .