[lbo-talk] LBO Got All Crazy

Mike Ballard swillsqueal at yahoo.com.au
Thu Oct 25 17:14:30 PDT 2007

Joanna:

> Lolita was great. Paths of Glory, a classic. Barry Lyndon magnificent.

Yes. Yes. And most especially YES. "Lyndon" is Kubrick's best film. In a just world, Best Picture, by fucking far. But it was up against "Jaws," "Dog Day Afternoon," "Nashville," and "One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest," which won. Today, "Jaws" would win.

> But as for "Eyes Wide Shut," while I appreciated the artistry, it seemed
> completely disconnected from anything. The only thing I remember was
> Nicole Kidman's flawless figure. The orgy scenes were only slightly less
> interesting than paint drying...and the anti-semitism completely
> gratuitous.

Agreed. But I thought the early scene of Cruise and Kidman at the posh X-mas party, where they each flirt heavily with other people, was very erotic. Very.

Hmmm..."Dr. Strangelove" was the best Kubrick film (IMHO, of course). I agree with you both that "Eyes Wide Shut" was Kubrick's worst. On top of Joanna's cogent observations about "...Shut", I'd say the fact that Tom Cruise was cast in the film at all made it DOA.

Mike B)

Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer." - W. C. Fields http://www.iww.org/culture/official/preamble.shtml

Sick of deleting your inbox? Yahoo!7 Mail has free unlimited storage. http://au.docs.yahoo.com/mail/unlimitedstorage.html