[lbo-talk] another thug endorses another right-winger

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Oct 26 06:08:54 PDT 2007

[from Page Six]

Dope Dealers For Rudy!

Rudy Giuliani has received two endorsements he'd probably rather forget - from two of the most notorious heroin kingpins in New York City history, Nicky Barnes and Frank Lucas. Barnes was doing life in prison until he ratted out more than 100 pushers and killers, prompting then-Mayor Giuliani to ask for his early release, which came in 1998. "I think Giuliani would make a good president because he's a principled guy," Barnes told filmmaker Marc Levin, who's making a documen tary about Barnes, "Mr. Untouchable." [V.A. Musetto's review: Page 52.] "He signed my commutation," Barnes said. "He put his name on it because that's what he promised to do." Lucas, who was nicknamed "Superfly," said: "If [Giuliani] promises something, you got that. He's got a helluva word." But he adds, "I don't think they're ready for an Italian president." Lucas is played by Denzel Washington in the critically acclaimed "American Gangster," while Barnes is played by Cuba Gooding Jr. Giuliani's rep had no comment.