[lbo-talk] US fascism Awareness Month

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 26 07:36:32 PDT 2007

I think this sort of talk is generally pointless, destructive and misleading, but I found the word coming out of my mouth in a conversation with a liberal (I mean regular liberal) colleague in the faculty lounge to describe Mukasy's defense of torture, and neither of us even hiccoughed.

Btw "Islamofascist" is a right wing coinage. I have never used the term "fascist" to describe Iran or al Qaida or even Saddam Hussein's Iraq, and I don't think anyone here who has spoken up in favor of being honest about these regimes has used that term either. It's just not useful or accurate; the analogy to 20s and 30s Europe (or Japan) is too faulty in either the case of the US or any of the Arab or Muslim countries, however repressive.

I have used "Christofascist" to describe the militaristic theocrats at home, but that's probably just an epithet. I hear they may be forming a third party because they don't think the GOP candidates are Godly enough. We can hope!