[lbo-talk] Gay Men Earn less than Het Males

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Oct 26 08:40:04 PDT 2007

On Oct 26, 2007, at 11:00 AM, BklynMagus wrote:

> Study Finds Gay Men Encounter More Job Discrimination Than Lesbians Do
> Gay men earn less than straight men because of employer
> discrimination, according to a new study published in the Journal
> of Labor Research.

This supports what Lee Badgett, an economist who specializes in gender and homosex issues, has found: gay men take an earnings hit compared to straight men, whereas lesbians just suffer the "normal" discrim enjoyed by women. There's some evidence that gay men choose "non-masculine" jobs, which may be partly responsible. I don't think there's enough data to do serious wage equation work on this though.

Doug