[lbo-talk] LBO Goes Crazy

joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Fri Oct 26 09:03:10 PDT 2007

>Brian wrote
>

>Douglas brought in Kubrick wih whom he had worked on PATHS
>OF GLORY to complete the shoot, and one of the reasons for
>the split personality of the film is that you have the mise
>en scene of Mann and Kubrick (not natural allies) wrestling
>with Trumbo's script and the nuances of all three confronted
>by the bombast of Douglas' performance (he was starting to
>evince the inflexibility that become the defining hallmark of
>his later career).

The anecdote I heard about Douglas was that he had it written in his contract that he had to have a "naked from the waist up" scene in every movie he made. This scene had to be added in "Paths of Glory" ...where it does work dramatically to show that he wa a hands-on kind of officer. I guess it was an organic part of Spartacus, being half naked. But good for him to bring on Kubrick.

Yeah, Tony Curtis was a bit embrrassing. On the other hand, he was the clown.

Oy am Spahtacus!

Joanna